This activity involved a bit of preparation but was popular and had links to the Science curriculum in the Year 2 mixtures unit and in Maths with measurement. We set it up as a series of stations which students had to move through, following the instructions at each stage.
- Take a bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of Epsom salts.
- Add a quarter cup of bicarb soda.
- Add a couple of drops of food colouring.
- Add one drop of essential oil.
- Add acidulated water (1 cup of water with one tablespoon of lemon juice added) very slowly (We used a spray bottle), mixing between each addition until it looks like damp sand.
- Mold into patty pans.
- Let sit overnight until hard.