When we were brainstorming ideas for this week’s Book Week theme, Books Light up our World, we came up with the idea of having a large lighthouse as a central display. I left it to my library aide, Peta, who’s the creative one, to come up with how to actually create it. She explains below how it was built.
Building the lighthouse
When Ms Keen told us the theme for Book Week was ‘Books Light Up Our World’, we came up with the idea to build a lighthouse. A light house, oh my goodness, how was I to do this?
I knew that it had to be strong enough so it wouldn’t fall over on top of anybody, so had to make the inside structure as strong as I could.
A few months before I had to build it, I had some furniture delivered and thought it would be a good idea to keep all the packaging in case we needed it here in the library to build something, hmmmm such as a lighthouse. It turned out to be exactly what we needed. I had lots of foam panels and solid foam shapes plus all the cardboard packaging.
I started by shaping the solid foam shapes into one solid piece and connected them with strong filament tape that we have in the library. Once I had it how I wanted it and the position that I wanted I began to make the first half of the lighthouse. I turned two large pieces of my cardboard boxes into a hexagon, taped the sides together and then cut the bottom of each side with flat panels, so that the bottom of the cardboard shape laid flat on the foam box. I taped these panels to the foam with filament tape so that the first half of the lighthouse was now secure on the foam base. I left an opening in the top of the lower half of the lighthouse large enough so that I would be able to put a light on a stand in it and thread the power lead through a hole I had cut out on the bottom corner of the hexagon – lighthouses have to have a light.
I then had to cut the foam panels to fit the hexagon shape of the lower half. I measured them all, cut them to size, glued the panels to the cardboard shape and then reinforced each corner with filament tape. I cut foam shapes to make a platform for the top of the lower half to stand the top of the next half of the lighthouse on to.
I then placed a tall lamp inside the lower half of the lighthouse and threaded the power lead to the outside as, once the top half was in place, I would not be able to put the light inside.
After making sure the platform was secure, the light in place, I then made the top half of the lighthouse, out of cardboard only, and in the exact same way as I did the bottom. Once I had the six sides measured, I laid the shape on the floor and cut out the windows, covered them in yellow cellophane and then painted the inside of the top half before securing it in place.
I painted the base black, the lighthouse white and then measured for the red panels which I then painted the next day.
I made the railing out of kebab skewers, stood them in foam and painted them black then placed them around the middle platform of the lighthouse and strung twine for the railing.
To top it off Shannon came up the great idea of putting an umbrella on the top to finish it completely (team work happening).
Working with foam you can imagine I made an absolute mess everywhere from the library office to the junior computer area and beyond and of course the principal, Dr Dolling, showed families through with me crawling around on the floor in a sea of paint, foam and cardboard.